Hemp, a zero waste plant!
Hemp is a plant that we hear more and more about in cosmetics, mainly for its oil.
What are the reasons for this success and its advantages? We took an interest in it and share our learnings with you.
Hemp (Cannabis Sativa) belongs to the Cannabaceae family. It is one of the first plants domesticated by humans. We find traces of its use for medicinal purposes in papyri dating from Egypt.
It was used in very different fields: the paper of the first book printed by Gutenberg or the doors of the first Ford cars for example.
For the record, know that the name of our Canebière in Marseille comes from the Provençal "Canebe" inspired by the Latin "Cannabis", Hemp. Indeed, legend has it that the location of La Canebière was home to hemp fields between the 14th and 17th centuries.
After having fallen somewhat into oblivion, during the industrial revolution it returned to the forefront.
Its past strengths make for its present success:
- It is “simple” to cultivate (resistant, requires little water, little energy on the part of the producer).
- It has multiple outlets: everything is good in the Hemp, the entire aerial part is valorized, fiber, hemp, hemp and powder. A few examples among many others: the fibers are used in construction or textiles, the seed for cosmetics or food, the hemp or the powder in cat litter. An airplane has even been built using Hemp fibers (light + very good mechanical properties).
That’s zero waste!
In cosmetics, it is from the seed that the oil is produced. The varieties grown and used in cosmetology are free of tetrahydrocannabinol (< 0.2% THC), a psychotropic substance.
The seed is harvested in summer (usually August), it is then dried and then pressed, ideally cold, a few weeks later (end of September to mid-October). Virgin oil, freshly cold pressed, offers the best quality.
This vegetable oil, called dry (little greasy feeling after application) is non-comedogenic (index 0), this means that it does not clog the pores of the skin and therefore does not promote the appearance of comedones or blackheads. It has a smell of fresh grass, a rather dark green color, it is rich in omega 3, 6 and 9, but also in vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, C, D and E.
Benefits for you
Hair benefits: an oil for all hair types.
- Thanks to its essential fatty acids, it is a very good treatment which softens and hydrates dry or damaged hair.
- Applied locally, it enriches the skin of the scalp and facilitates combing.
- Also suitable for fine hair, providing shine and volume
Body benefits: a multi-purpose oil.
- Non-comedogenic, it penetrates quickly into the skin, offering a moisturizing and nourishing effect, suitable for skin with imperfections
- Multiple properties: anti-inflammatory, calming, antioxidant, anti-wrinkle and stimulation of blood circulation,
How to apply it:
- As a daily hair care product for dry or brittle hair: apply a few drops of Hemp oil to your hands and massage your lengths 2 to 3 times a week.
- As a skin care product: apply a few drops of Loubaïo organic hemp oil morning and evening to the targeted areas and massage until absorbed.
We met Axel and Serge a little over a year ago, it's a beautiful story that we wanted to highlight and support, on our small scale.
ABC Hemp is a cooperative that promotes the local economy. They are developing the sector in the PACA region with the ambition of bringing together producer partners, from Arles to Digne via Var, but also processors.
Concretely, several farmers have joined the cooperative, they produce in various areas ranging from the Camargue, Beaucaire, or even 04 for example. ABC Hemp provides them with the expertise and support they need to master this activity. The team then takes care of sending the fruits of the harvest to the various sectors. Concerning cosmetics, after a drying period, the seeds are sent to the high Alps where they will be pressed to become oil.
Axel and Serge are becoming more and more structured, and are also equipping themselves, in order to be able to transform and therefore take advantage of the entire plant, zero waste!
We have come a long way since our first meeting, we are very happy to be able to participate on our scale in their development.